Sunday 27 February 2011

Column - Home away from home

You’ve got the little brown envelope in your hands, hundreds of people around you are screaming and crying and your emotions aren’t exactly settled. You tear open the envelope, quickly yanking the white piece of paper out. That’s it, all over. You can forget all those lame excuses you had lined up for Mum and Dad and all the CV’s you had printed out just incase, you’ve passed you’re A Levels, your going to university.
Now that the hard bit is over, its time to pack up all your stuff and head off to your new home, the student residences. You’ve heard the rumours; a non-stop party, the best time of your life, its going to be amazing. Isn’t it?
You’ve shed a couple of tears as you wave goodbye to your parents and you’re left to unpack. The place is echoing with silence and the nerves hit. What if all your flat mates don’t like you? What if there weird? What if they think you’re weird? I know just how you feel.
The most nerve-wracking thing I have ever done, moving into halls and missing most of the first day because my parents wanted to treat me to lunch, didn’t exactly help with getting to know people. Unpacking in my room, I heard everyone talking in the corridor, a perfect moment to go and introduce myself. All of my worries disappeared, they all seemed lovely. Let’s just say, it didn’t take long for the true colours to come shining through.
Now, don’t get me wrong, as expected I have found some true friends in my time here but sometimes, all we want is a little bit of piece and quiet especially when two hours have passed, your only 15 words into your 2000 word essay that’s due tomorrow and all you can hear is the bass vibrating through your wall from the ‘eccentric’ boy next door. It can get a bit too much, especially when it’s been ‘one of them day’s’.
Now I don’t want you to read this and think I’m a boring work-a-holic that despises anyone who bares a smile, it’s not like that. I’ve consumed a similar amount of alcohol, done as many stupid things and am just as behind on the work as anyone else but eight weeks of constant noise, mess and funny smells drifting through the flat, I wouldn’t be lying if I said it’s a little different from living at home.
Waking up at 4am to the noise of cello tape being ripped off the roll is something you cannot help but go to investigate. Opening the door I was greeted by an unusually dark corridor, especially as the lights don’t actually turn off, it was quite a surprise. Let’s just say two of my flat mates had found a very different use for black bin-bags and cello tape – to black out all the lights. And this is just the beginning.
Six days had gone by, we were all starting to settle into what student life was like and fresher’s week was taking as much out of us as it possibly could have been. The night was slowly coming to an end and all as drunk as you can imagine we took up pitch in the corridor, definitely one of those ‘it was a good idea at the time’ moments. One of my flat mates suddenly got up, dragged one of the boys with him and disappeared into his bedroom. Now, depending on the image you have in your mind of how my flat mate looks, this next bit could be quite disturbing. The bedroom door opened and out came a boy wearing just a thong with a little more than he had hoped on show; this was followed by the other boy falling out of the door in fits of laughter. “I can do better” shouted one of the girls, so off she went, taking the boy in the thong with her and again they disappeared into the bedroom. For your sake, I’m not going to go into detail of what came next but let’s just say it involved many fancy dress costumes, a very naked boy and a sock.
As the next week came and went, as a flat we had more fun than I think any of us had expected with everything from ceiling slates falling down, wine bottles being broken, wrestling with mattresses, hide and seek, ping pong with beer, getting knocked out multiple times by the ironing board where someone had placed it against the door and waited for you to open it and last but definitely not least, an announcement of erectile dysfunction. You can’t help but laugh and that’s not even half of it. My room alone has turned into the flat’s living room where everyone chooses to get in the bed and have a natter. It’s suffered from a broken wardrobe, multiple dents in the main door, the window being egged, a hole in the wall and countless amounts of times when I’ve had to share my bed because someone has fallen asleep in it. You’d think I was mad if I said you can’t fault it, wouldn’t you?
However, baring everything in mind, I’d have no doubt in saying that if somebody asked me to describe being here, I couldn’t possibly sum it up in one word.. It soon becomes clear why people say it’s the best time of your life and looking back now, all those nerves seem so pointless.

And finally, the cheesy bit. That little brown envelope really can change your life, well at least for me it did and although it’s true, that even made me cringe saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment