Thursday 24 November 2011

The most magical place on earth

I don’t doubt that when I mention the name Annie Leibovitz you know who I’m talking about, but for those of you who don’t let me give you a quick insight.

Leibovitz is an incredible American photographer responsible for those fabulously sexy Rolling Stones covers we have all seen plastered over peoples bedrooms walls. Photographing portrait images, usually of ‘A List’ celebrities, she has quite a breath-taking portfolio. But to me, her most fantastic work came about when she collaborated with Vogue for a Disney themed shoot, dressing those loved ‘A Listers’ as our favourite movie characters. In 2007, the Walt Disney Company asked Leibovitz to do a shoot of celebrities in various roles for their “Year of a Million Dreams” campaign which included photographs of David Beckham, Beyonce and Scarlett Johansson. The images were spectacular and gave Leibovitz a quirky, Tim Burton style edge. These are a few examples of her Disney themed images from the last 10 years. I'll leave it up to you to work out which celebs feature.






A university photography project has challenged me to create original fashion images for a specific publication. After looking at these images and others from the Alice in Wonderland shoot Leibovitz did for Vogue, I have chosen to go down a similar route and create Disney themed photo's, also for Vogue, to celebrate the future release of the Disney film 'Magic Kingdom'. This film is to be about a young child who witnesses the Magic Kingdom Park characters and attractions come alive, so for my shoot I will bring in as many relevant props as well as suitable 'fashionable' clothing to fit the style. Obviously, the standards are way higher in Leibovitz's work than I ever could achieve, but I can dream. I'll be sure to post the final images here for you to see.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment