Wednesday 7 September 2016

Eating Out, London: The Mae Deli

I like to think that I’m not a ‘sheep’ or a ‘follower’ but if I’m being completely honest, I really am. Whenever a new restaurant opens or a new food trend pops up, I always have to give it a go.

This was definitely true for The Mae Deli.
Founded by Ella Woodward, more commonly known as Deliciously Ella, The Mae Deli is a small boutique style eatery with a huge focus on healthy alternatives, natural ingredients and delicious treats.


The menu varies from the Mae Bowl – a mixture of your favourite dishes from the main menu, both hot and cold to sweet treats such as a pecan brownie or Ella’s famous energy balls.

My opinion – I wouldn’t be in a rush to go back here. I feel like the hype around the Deliciously Ella books, which are super inspiring, has created a bit of an anti-climax when it comes to the real thing. Healthy, natural foods are always expensive but to me, this takes that to the extreme with some of their juices coming in at a hefty £6.95. After living in London for a few years, I’m used to London pricing but this definitely put me off.

The light at the end of the tunnel is the sweet treats – well most of them anyway. At around £3 per slice, it’s no different to most café cakes so I was more than happy to give them a try. My personal favourite was the chocolate ganache, it was so tasty and completely natural – the gooey texture comes from avocados, who’d have thought? I won’t recommend too many of these as I think the menu changes daily, but the peanut butter slice is also great. I don't like the taste of things like Naked bars so I really didn't like the energy balls, but that might be just me. 

Overall, I was disappointed. I never expected it to be cheap but I also never expected it to be that pricey. I wouldn’t rush back there for lunch but I would put my dessert order in if someone else was heading down there.

If you're thinking of paying them a visit, the nearest tube is Marble Arch. Postcode: W1H 5BH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment