Tuesday 21 March 2017

Eating Out, London: Manze

Pie and Mash (I'm capitalising as it should be it's own brand!) is by far my favourite food, ever. I could eat it every day if it didn't result in a growing waistband. To most, when you say pie and mash, they picture a nice strak pie with mash and gravy but to anyone who grew up in East London, it has a whole different meaning. See below. 


As once described as 'herby jizz' by a friend, that green, gooey mess on the plate is the pièce de résistance - the parsley sauce. Creamy mash, a mince meat pie (or two if you're obsessed like me), parsley sauce and lashing of vinegar probably sounds a bit gross but it works perfectly.

If you're new to London or simply visiting and fancy a bit of culture, I'll call it that anyway, head down to Manze's on Walthamstow high street. I've been going since I was a baby in a pushchair and the decor and the staff have barely changed. Wooden pews with old-fashioned tiling and an old-school till, it's cheap, cheerful and a typical East-End experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment